Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dessert Soup?

Per usual, the peeps on the other side of the world know how to eat better than we do.  Get this, Chinese Sweet Red Bean Soup with Tapioca pearls.  I first had this at a Chinese wedding reception and dare I say it changed my life.  Problem is I have yet to recreate it properly, but I get closer every time.
I use a combination of several recipes.
But essentially this is what I do.

1. soak  2 cups of red beans for overnight
drain them.
2. put them in a big pot with enough water not too much.  About 8 cups of water.
3. Get beans to a boil then put down to a simmer for about 1.5 hours until soft.  Add water if needed.
4. While beans are cooking throw in orange peals to 1 orange.
5. Add 1-2 cans of coconut milk
6. Add sugar to taste.
7. While beans are cooking put some tapioca balls into a pot of water.  Get to boil and then leave on active simmer until they are translucent.  Add water if needed so they don't burn.  BTW the bigger the tapioca balls the more time they'll take to cook.  I used the big ones and it took roughly 2 hours (i think)
8. Once tapioca is cooked add to the beans.

Here are the sources that inspired my recipe.
Thewackywongs
userealbutter
cindybear
about

No comments:

Post a Comment