Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Preventing Cancer

Why not start now?  My grandmother went out of remission for colon cancer, my aunt was diagnosed with kidney cancer, my other aunt was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and my mom was diagnosed with nonhodgkin;s lymphoma within two years.  In less than a year , I lost both my mother and aunt to cancer. My mom did everything including radiation, chemo, stem cell transplant.  In the end her body was so weakened and harmed from the chemo that she died of side effects.  

It scared me senseless.  Would I get cancer? Would I die of cancer? Would my personality change as a result of chemotherapy? Would I lose all my hair and age ten years in just a few months?  I can't control the future, but I can be a faithful steward of the body that God has given me.  Stories started coming to me of people who made healthy lifestyle choices and were treating their cancer that way.  I started to ask myself, "If people treat cancer naturally, how much more powerful would it be for me to prevent cancer naturally?".  

I'm working right now on changing my life and possibly saving it.  My husband and I made the decision as I've written of before to eat more healthy.  I didn't realize how unhealthy I ate until I started to make healthier decisions!  I still believe I have room to grow, but I've made significant progress.  We even stopped buying dairy milk and started drinking a combination of soy and almond milk.  I just haven't figured out how to part with cheese yet :).  

EXERCISE! WHAT! For the first time in my entire life I started to exercise.  That's right! I started a kickboxing class two days a week.  I didn't even know I could sweat that much and SMELL.  My mom was overweight but nothing ridiculous. She used to say how she never worked out a day in her life.  I don't know if exercising would have prevented her from getting cancer, but what I do know is that she would have been healthier and stronger.  Instead of telling myself things like "I'm not athletic", "I look stupid working out", or "I'm not a health junkie", I made a choice to be healthy.  

Also, check out this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just stumbled on it today and it's incredible

No comments:

Post a Comment