Sunday, May 20, 2012

Beach Scene

My friend/ art partner in crime and I were asked to paint a back drop for a beach scene. The scene was for a fundraising event for a Chicago urban non-profit. The request was to paint sand, water, and sky.  It was my first-ish landscape and diffidently my first painting of that scale (5 panels of 4'x8' + a palm tree).  The collaboration was a blast.  The mutual friend who asked the two of us to paint the backdrop, did all of the props and had the overall big picture.

It was a big undertaking but a blast.  My body still hurts from 9 continual hours of painting (over a week ago), and I'm pretty sure I pulled my hamstring.  There are obvious mistakes such as the water line is supposed to be level all off the way through the painting.  DUH!  Also, the sky shading has much to be desired.   Next time I paint anything of this scale I want two 4-5 hour time block in order for my mind to rest.  Taking a break allows for seeing obvious mistakes like water lines not being level.
Supplies

  • Inspiration
  • primer
  • six 4'x8' foam boards- The boards were primed before us painters jumped in to work which was a huge time saver!!!   
  • tempera paint- I have never used this paint before and loved working with it.  It dried a lot slower than acrylic, so we didn't have to worry about our brushes or paint drying mid use.  Also the paint was a little over a dollar a bottle nearly a tenth of the acrylic price.  
  • colors bought- yellow, red, deep blue, cerulean blue, green, white, brown, and purple.  These were the base colors.  The rest of the hues and shades were mixed.  
  • drop cloths
  • buckets for mixing & rinsing brushes
  • plastic lids for pallets & mixing
  • brushes
  • towels for mistakes and messes 
  • water for rinsing brushes & thinning paint





3 comments:

  1. Cassie Jean! I am so proud of you. This is a HUGE undertaking, but you nailed it. Nine straight hours of painting, huh? Sort of makes those 3-hour, all-standing art classes seem puny in comparison, doesn't it? Great job.

    Oh, what was the non-profit, and how did it fare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, that means a lot coming from an artist such as yourself. The non-profit was Circle Urban Ministries, and I don't know how they fared.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete